WHAT IS COSTA MARTIÁNEZ?
The Costa Martiánez Tourist Complex, also known as Lago Martiánez, is a leisure and entertainment zone comprising seven artificial seawater swimming pools and a large lake, as well as gardens, terraces, islands, viewpoints, solaria, cultural spaces, bars and restaurants. It currently constitutes the symbol and main tourist attraction of Puerto de la Cruz, Tenerife, the most traditional and prestigious tourist city on the Canary Islands.
Costa Martiánez has a surface area of 328,084 square feet that completely transforms the Puerto de la Cruz coastline that cannot be used as a beach or for recreation. It is located on reclaimed land on the coast of the same name and was created to meet demand for relaxation and leisure zones in this municipality of the north of the island, and became a top class international tourist centre.
The Costa Martiánez Complex is the pride of Puerto de la Cruz and all of Tenerife. The quality and beauty of its facilities provide the visitor with the most suitable environment for bathing and relaxing and, thanks to the Canary Islands’ privileged climate, can be enjoyed at any time of the year.
Visitors to the complex no doubt say that it has exceptional facilities. They are extremely important and have been recognised by outstanding personalities from the arts and showbusiness. It hosted Miss Europa 1979 and the central island has been used for dinners and receptions at numerous conferences.
Phase 1: San Telmo (1957)
Phase 2: Los Alisios (1967)
Phase 3: Lago Martiánez (1977)
PHASE 1: San Telmo
In 1957, the zone famous for the Martiánez planes underwent a significant transformation. The overall urban zoning plan of that year made provision for the construction of several infrastructures. Firstly, Avenida de Colón was constructed and, once completed in 1959, the rest of the crossing roads followed. At the same time, the Bélgica, Valle Mar, Las Vegas and Tenerife Playa Hotels went up. The San Telmo swimming pools were also built during this time.
The so-called San Telmo swimming pools occupy a surface area of 16,404 square feet. The complex comprises three swimming pools and a restaurant-terrace.
PHASE 2: Los Alisios
In 1967, Puerto de la Cruz Town Hall commissioned the first municipal swimming pool project in the zone protected by the Martiánez wall, next to the San Telmo swimming pools. For this project, the engineers Juan Alfredo Amigó and José Luís Olcina, who executed the San Telmo swimming pools work were hired.
During the work’s execution process, the Lanzarote artist César Manrique was hired to be in charge of artistic direction. After Manrique came on board, he tried to adapt the work’s characteristics to traditional Canarian architecture by incorporating plant elements and a series of sculptures of singular beauty and harmony.
The project is made up of three swimming pools called Los Alisios: Alisios Isla, Alisios Central and Infantil, all of which are circular. The largest one has a central island bar decorated with sea motifs and a 82-foot pine sail. In total, they occupy a surface area of 26,247 square feet and the signature of the artist César Manrique can be seen in its design that incorporates bleached surfaces combined with basaltic rock, terraces on several levels and native flora. Moreover, Manrique planned two pieces of sculpture integrated into the complex: Los Alisios (1971) and La Jibia (1971).
The new swimming pools opened on 23rd September 1971.
PHASE 3: Lago Martiánez
In 1970, during a meeting between the engineers and the artist, Manrique proposed building a large lake and made a sketch of his idea. The engineers were charged with making the model and studying the project’s technical feasibility. Finally, the Town Hall undertook the execution of the artificial lake and it was contracted out in 1972. The lake island forms part of a subsequent project and its creation was approved in 1974. Its foundations stand below sea level and the landscaping was completed by César Manrique. It is a true work of engineering.
In total, it occupies a surface area of 108,268 square feet, of which 49,213 feet comprise a solarium, 49,213 a swimming pool and the rest corresponds to the island. The swimming pool is circular in shape with another smaller circle attached for the children’s swimming pool. The lake has five islands, the central one being the largest, which has a part below sea level and contains a restaurant, event room and gardens.
César Manrique created and incorporated a series of sculptures into the project: Monumento al Mar (1977) located in the children’s swimming pool and Barlovento (1977). He also included the works Raíces al viento and Homenaje a Wilhelm Reich, the first one made up of a group of trees standing the wrong way around and the second by a single tree, more robust and flattened.
In 1976, the Town Hall rescued and incorporated an additional 16,404 square feet into the complex of swimming pools called San Telmo, built in 1957.
As a complement to these bathing facilities, there is a wide range of bars, restaurants and snack bars, as well as an event room for celebrating all kinds of events on the central island.
Finally, a series of elements from traditional architecture were placed along Avenida de Colón, such as the swimming pool security gatehouses inspired by the ones at San Telmo Hermitage Fortress.
Lago Martiánez was inaugurated on 30th April 1977, 10 years after the project’s initial planning.
In 1995, the Costa Martiánez-Lago Martiánez Complex was declared a Site of Cultural Interest (BIC) in the Historic Garden category.
The reclaimed 108,268 square feet primarily consists of a seawater lake surrounded by solaria and gardens. Five islands were built in the interior of the lake. The largest one has a restaurant, event room, terraces, etc.
The entire complex was planned with great artistic intuition and a harmonic and pleasant landscaping was achieved by constructing cosy corners with ornamental details, including native plants brought from different parts of the island.
The following was used in the construction of Lago Martiánez:
- 18,373 cubic feet excavated
- 91,208 cubic feet of concrete used
- 5,249 feet of high resistance slabs
- 4,593 feet of stepping stones
- 6,890 cubic feet of volcanic rock
- 14,600 feet of piping
- 3 groups of electropumps
- 2 pump units for emptying
- 10 butterfly valve units with electromagnetic control.
The following was used in the electrical installation:
- 26,247 feet of PVC pipe
- 196,850 feet of cable
- 125 electric manholes
- 2 100kVA transformation and distribution groups, one for the pumps and another for general lighting
- 1 emergency 150kW generator sets
- 1 low voltage distribution board
- 650 light bulbs under the water, 31 light bulbs for the sea, 400 light sockets in the gardens and 190 in the event room
A service tunnel was also constructed under the water, joining the central islands with the street, in which a 125CV pump was put to project a 20-metre high water jet onto the surface of the lake.
treated and undergoes strict bacteriological control. The frequency of emptying and filling guarantees the highest levels of health and safety.
It takes two hours to empty the lake and just six hours to fill it. This emptying and subsequent filling process is carried out several times a week. The way the artificial lake is filled using dispensers that reach 98 feet is spectacular.